Friday, September 2, 2011

The Funeral

I don't think I can even write about my Mums funeral in detail. I will say that is was a beautiful celebration of her life. There were close to 350 people there, she touched so many peoples lives. She was amazing my Mum, and I am not just saying that because she is my Mum, you can ask anyone who knew her. Boo was on his best behavior, he slept through half of the service then was a angel for the rest of the day. We joked that my Mum sprinkled fairy dust on him for the day, considering he was so naughty and throwing huge tantrums every time we would go and visit my Mum at the hospital before she passed away. So she thought she would make sure he was on his best behavior on her day. It worked :)

Three of my nephews did a wonderful job in writing and reading her Eulogy. I am going to pinch a couple of lines from it.

"People just wanted to be around Nonna. She took great pleasure in all these simple things and despite the hurdles she faced, life was so “uncomplicated”. Her amazing zest for life attracted and inspired even perfect strangers. And through this she taught us all the importance of community.

Her food was much more than a means of filling you up – it was a simple and encompassing act of love. It displayed a cherishment of family. A reason for togetherness and sharing. Discussions were made over cups of coffee and plates of sweets. Both eating and making the food were great excuses to be together."

She was beautiful, loving, caring, warm, nurturing, a great cook, a great craftswoman, a great cleaner, great wife, a great mother, a great grandmother and a great great-grandmother. She had quite an opened mind for age at 76. She was accepting of everyone and always had her arms open.

She will always be my Mum xx

9 comments:

Kristin said...

Such a beautiful tribute to your Mum. Thank you for sharing this little insight into her life with us.

{{{Hugs}}} and love headed your way.

Gil said...

She is beautiful. She always will be. My thoughts and prayers continue to be with you sweetie. As you have done before, just put one foot in front of the other and hold on to Boo tightly for hugs and kisses. We are all abiding with you. Much love from across the miles.

laurieb145 said...

Wow, your mum is beautiful. What a great tribute to her..may she rest in peace. Take Care.

Delenn said...

What a wonderful tribute. Lovely picture of her.

~stinkb0mb~ said...

that picture of her is just gorgeous, as she no doubt was and what beautiful words to describe her.

xxxx

Anonymous said...

Vee, I'm holding you in my heart every day even though I'm quiet here lately. Abiding with you and remembering your mom with you - she sounds like an amazing person. Huge love to you.

Bea said...

A beautiful tribute for sure, and fits what I know about your mum through you, as well. And a beautiful woman.

Bea

Lut C. said...

A wonderful picture of your mom, both the photo and the eulogy.
The heartache must be overwhelming.

Corrie said...

I just want to come and give you a big hug and bring you some cake. I lost my mum to cancer a few months ago. March 29th to be exact. She really hung on for a few days but I remember every single moment of her last few days. I can relate to everything - the viewing, the funeral, everything
big hugs to you. I have good days and bad days but not a moment when I don't think about her and how unfair it all was. But it was also peaceful.

biggest hugs to you and if you ever need to chat just let me know!no one can ever replace your own mum and I know I'll miss her until the day I leave this earth.

i'll be thinking of you
Corriexx